Monday, June 27, 2011

Cherry Harvest 2011

yeah...just turn your head sideways for a minute and you will see that I really am wearing pink pants.




One of the weeks of the year where I speak more Spanish than English, enjoy the outdoors at 5 am, and spend a lot of time in my fathers orchard.... Cherry harvest.
When I was 5 my dad and uncle purchased land in Walulla, WA and planted an orchard...
I was probably in 6th grade when we started getting real harvests, and I have been working out there almost every year since I was twelve...
Most of all; the experience is beautiful and peaceful. I love being hidden in the middle of many acres of trees, feeling the Columbia river breeze, and listening to the leaves rustle under the big open blue sky. I also love how busy and hectic the week always turns out as I try to help manage a temporary crew of 75 to 120 pickers and get all the fruit off in the small window of perfect ripeness.

I have gotten to know a lot of the workers who return year after year, and that is definately the highlight of the harvest for me!
It is fun to be back working this year!


No comments: